Wednesday, January 7, 2009
Too tired for words
But I will try to think of some anyway. We took Charlotte to the Pediatrician yesterday after about four nights of less than four hours of sleep (for me). Charlotte has been acting like she is starving and reverted back to newborn stage of eating every two and a half hours around the clock and fussing when it is time to go to sleep. Needless to say, when the four thirty am alarm clock goes off I am literally saying a curse word out loud. If you add insomnia on top of the round the clock feedings I'm sure you can imagine just how tired I am (I think I am having trouble falling asleep because I am unconsciously listening to the monitor or waiting for her to cry) . When I called the doctor's office to describe her behavior and added that she has started drooling a lot and sucking on her hands all the time they told me to bring her in to check for an ear infection. Apparently they thought that maybe she was fussy when laying down at night because the inner ear fluids were bothering her, and that she was sucking on her hands/nursing to comfort herself. So, off to the office we went but they found absolutely nothing wrong with her. She is up to thirteen pounds now, right on target. She is eating around 28-30 ounces a day, also right on target. Her ears looked great, she's not cutting teeth....it was basically chalked up to a big growth spurt. The nurse told me I can give her rice cereal if I want to, but I haven't made that decision yet. I need to do some research, but honestly my gut tells me to continue breastfeeding as we have been and let her get past this phase. When we go back for her four month check up and shots the pediatrician I love at her office will be back from maternity leave, and then maybe I will feel more comfortable about making changes to her diet. I suppose we'll just tough it out for now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Been there. I've taken Ramsey in several times to say "my kid is fussy, please help". They kindly pat me on the back and say "this too shall pass". It always does but man it is hard on us first time moms. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteOh, how I don't miss those days! I feel for you girl! You are a better woman than me if you make it through the breast feeding frenzy. I will never forget the one that Logan had at 4 weeks-right before I quit. I felt like I was feeding him ALL THE TIME! UGH! I got nothing done! Just think though, before you will know it, you will be doing it all over again one day when you have #2, and remembering what it was like with Charlotte. They grow TOO STINKING fast, so enjoy every second! Even the ones that are not fun! You can sleep on vacation! LOL!!!
ReplyDelete