Saturday, February 12, 2011

In a big girl bed





When we were putting Charlotte's crib together and I could still feel her wriggling around in my stomach I seriously could not imagine the day we would be converting her crib to a toddler bed. Now that the day is here, I find myself reeling at how fast time has flown by. Her room has stayed virtually the same for the last three years and I am still in shock when I walk into her room and see the bed has changed. She was SO excited when she saw us putting it together, she kept climbing up and down and we must have said "Don't jump on the bed!" at least 50 times. Then she would land on her butt and start kicking her legs up and down-she was out of control excited! We talked to her over and over again throughout the day about not getting out of her bed at night and to call for us in the morning when she was ready to get up (and also threw in there that it isn't morning until the sun is out!). We went through our night time routine like usual-bath, pjs, read one book, drank some water.....but no cuddle time tonight. She usually tries to stall out and ask a lot of questions about her book but tonight at soon as I said "the end", she said "I get in my big girl bed now". She crawled in and I covered her up and she said "bye, mommy". Just like that! No kisses or prayers or anything, just a polite get out! Ugh. So I let her have her space and went to our video monitor and cried a little tear just thinking about how LITTLE she was the first time we laid her in there and my thought that "maybe we bought her bed too big" and now she is stretched end to end and doesn't need me around any more. Sigh.

Well, she almost doesn't need me around any more. She woke up four times throughout the night with "I'm scared", or "I bumped my head" (she's used to laying up against the bumper) but with a kiss and a tuck back in she went right to sleep. I just keep trying to remind myself that this was my job. To help her grow into her own person and not need us around any more. I just didn't know it would hurt my heart like this to see it happen so fast!







No comments:

Post a Comment