Monday, October 27, 2008

6 week check in



I have officially been home with Charlotte for 30 work days, which means that today should have been my first day back to work. All morning I have been thinking about how devastated I would be if I HAD to go back to work today, and how thankful I am that Bryce and I decided the money wasn't worth it. Legally, I have to go back in 30 more work days (12 weeks total) but I think it is absolutely crazy that any politician or government official thinks that a six week old should go without it's mother during the day.

I do miss teaching and seeing my students learn, and I definitely miss interacting with adults; however there is no way Charlotte nor I are ready to go back yet. Just to give you an idea of my day, this is how we spent the last 24 hours:

  • Sunday
    • 8:00 am Bryce got up with Charlotte for a feeding
    • 10:00 am I got up, Bryce and I had breakfast (biscuits and gravy, yum!)
    • 10:30-11:15 am Nursed Charlotte, got her dressed for the day
    • 11:45 am-1:00 pm Charlotte napped, I got a shower and got dressed for the day, cleaned the kitchen, started laundry (Bryce was outside doing yardwork)
    • 1:15 pm Nursed Charlotte
    • 1:45 pm Bryce and I ate lunch
    • 2:15-3:45 pm Bryce, Charlotte, and I went to the grocery store
    • 4:15 pm Nursed Charlotte
    • 4:45-5:40 Charlotte napped, Bryce and I started a movie (Forgetting Sarah Marshall)
    • 5:35-5:40 attempted to talk on the phone while Bryce went to pick up dinner (Chilis to go, yum!)
    • 5:40-7:30 Fussy time. Bryce and I took turns eating dinner, cleaning up after dinner (and feeding the dogs), and attempting to calm Charlotte.
    • 7:30-7:45 Getting ready for bathtime/bedtime
    • 8:00-8:15 Bathtime for Charlotte-I wash, Bryce dries
    • 8:15-8:40 Nursed Charlotte
    • 8:40-8:45 Rocked Charlotte to sleepy eyes
    • 8:45-9:45 took one load of laundry out of the dryer and started another, got ready for bed, spent some quality TV time on the couch with Bryce (flipping between my show and football of course!)
    • 9:45-1030ish pm Laid in bed and thought about how much Charlotte cries, how little time I spend talking with Bryce now, how the laundry didn't get finished, how my dogs are going to get fat because I over-compensate with treats and don't walk them anymore.....all the new mom guilt.
  • Monday
    • 2:12:3:22 am Nursed Charlotte, diaper change, rocked back to sleepy eyes
    • 3:30-4:00 am started composing the blog in my head, thinking how fast the last six weeks went
    • 5:20-5:50 am Nursed Charlotte, diaper change, rocked back to sleepy eyes
    • 5:50-6:00 am let the dogs out, got a drink of water, went back to bed
    • 8:30 am Nursed Charlotte, started the process all over again......

1 comment:

  1. I can so identify with your daily schedule with Emerson. I feel like I am in the movie Ground Hog Day. The same thing day after day at almost the exact time. Throw three more little kids in the mix and you have yourself a party! Glad Charlotte is doing well. She is changing so quickly. I agree a little baby needs their mommy. I still have your surprise gift. I will mail it to you when I heal enough to lift Chase and get to the PO.

    ReplyDelete