Wednesday, February 8, 2012

It's all in a name

Naming our second little girl was a really hard task. I was so glad that we didn't name Charlotte any other name, that all of our previous names were no longer usable. It is really important to me to give a name with meaning....after teaching for the last eight years you definitely notice a trend with names and personalities and I totally believe that the meaning of a name can influence a kids temperment! I also really like the idea of passing a family name down to the next generation. I think it gives a built in sense of family right away.

After much debate we were down to two names....Emily and Reese. The name Emily means "industrious" and the name Reese means "enthusiasm". I just could not decide! As much as it irked everyone (including people who talked to me in the grocery store line!) Bryce and I decided to wait and see what she looked like. Even when we got to the hospital the delivery staff was obsessed over how we were going to choose our name. Once the baby was born, I tried so hard to see which name fit. I said both names over and over in my head while looking at her and the name Emily just kept sticking with me. After deciding on her first name we had to debate the middle name. Merrill is my maternal grandmother's maiden name and when I looked in our baby book it meant "shines". My sister and I have had many conversations about what it's like to live in a big sister's shadow and it was a profound moment for me when I realized that it doesn't have to be that way. This little baby will "shine" all on her own.

So.....Emily Merrill Fulcher it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment