Thursday, February 2, 2012

Day 1 at home

We spent our first day home from the hospital (which happened to be Bryce's birthday) with a very sick little toddler. When we woke up Friday morning and Charlotte was SUPER whiney, I just assumed this would be my new world for awhile as she got used to the new baby in the house. After nap, Charlotte woke up with a fever around 101 and I started praying. She got progressively worse through the night, and after waking up for the fourth time with my THREE YEAR OLD, not to mention the feedings every two hours with my NEWBORN, I actually had to change Charlotte's clothes she was so soaked with sweat. Her fever at that point had reached 103.4. I called our Pediatrician's after hours number, and he agreed to meet us at the office, even though it is closed on Saturday, to look at Charlotte and Emily. I just couldn't risk taking Emily with us to urgent care and chance her picking up something there. The only thing Charlotte would tell us is that her "mouth" hurt, and she wouldn't eat anything. Literally, one bite of toast for breakfast, and half a chicken nuggett for lunch. She even turned down a milkshake, which is when I knew things must be bad! The Pediatrician tested Charlotte for strep and a UTI just to rule out infection. You haven't lived until you've had to catch someone else's pee in a cup! Then came the most dreaded words that every mother hates to hear: "It's just a virus". Which essentially means "I can't do anything for you, go home and wait it out". Then he gave us the speech about making sure Emily doesn't catch this virus. Charlotte is not allowed to touch the baby OR her things. Anything that Charlotte has touched has to be washed and disinfected. Are you kidding me?! That is literally everything in our house! I think the hardest thing for all of us was keeping the two girls separate. All Charlotte wants to do is be a "big sister" and help Mommy with the baby. I have felt so guilty, I feel like all I say is "Don't touch that" or "Leave the baby alone". My poor Charlotte feels terrible, can't see her new baby sister, and has a Mommy that is nursing around the clock. Needless to say, it was a rough weekend for all. The serenity prayer has been my mantra for the past 48 hours.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. How awful. I hope she is getting better and Emily stayed healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl I cant believe im just reading this post. That virus hit our household too. I thought for sure strep with the fever and Ava telling me her throat hurt. But nope. Just a virus. Which means you can't do anything. And Tripp got it too. Same thing virus. So no antibiotics for anyone. Big bummer. Tripp actually did get strep a week later go figure. Hope everyone is feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete