Ah, the first day of the new year. So full of promise for all to come. So full of memories from the year just passed. I am a big believer in resolutions. Not necessarily at the beginning of a new year, though I think the start of a new year is a good reminder, but making time to better yourself. My new years resolution this year is to be present in every day moments. To find at least one thing every day that makes my ears prick up and my mind focus on God's grace and blessings in those every day moments. I know I have to make it a habit first and to begin I have to train myself to be present with my mind and heart open. Not just flipping through a magazine while Charlotte watches TV, or saying "Uh huh" and doing the dishes while Bryce is telling me a story. Instead, being focused. Clearing my mind and giving my full attention to the subtle ways that God is reaching out to me. I think that once I can de-clutter my brain I will recognize God's work all over the place, but for now it is one step at a time. I think the trick for me is going to be balance. How do I balance being present and still carve out "me" time?
So for today, even though my fingers were itching to pick up my book or do some dishes while Charlotte colored at the table, I picked up a crayon and colored with her. For thirty whole minutes we sat together coloring and putting stickers on our art work. And when we were done Charlotte said "Thank you for coloring with me, Mommy". It felt good.

Grandma Mickie and Grandpa Dave being silly in their "semi-formal" New Years Day attire!

Charlotte pounding out some tunes on Grandma Monk's piano

Resting after our annual "collards, black eyed peas, and cornbread" new years dinner

She has a bit of a stuffed animal obsession. At least this one is small....
This is ringing very true for me right now. Spending that time, with full attention, to our little ones. Definitely need to do that right now. Thanks for the reminder. :)
ReplyDeleteAmen sister! Way too often I am caught going through the motions as opposed to living in the moment! We were reviewing our videos from the past 3 years and of course there were some complicated circumstances, but if it weren't for those videos I wouldn't even remember some of the things Kaiden used to do, or the little nuances that make them the big kids they some how all ready are!
ReplyDelete