All day long I found my mind drifting back to what we were doing a year ago. I remember being anxious, excited, and a little bit scared. Bryce and I have been going through all of our pictures of Charlotte and we simply cannot believe all that this year has encompassed. Being with Charlotte in the hospital feels like such surreal memories. I remember feeling so tired but every time she cried more adrenaline kicked in and I was ready to go again. That first shower in the hospital was the best shower of my life! Bryce and I were amazed when we walked outside to the car and found that in the three short days we stayed in the hospital the weather had turned cold. I arrived to the hospital in shorts and a t-shirt and left in pants and a sweatshirt. Bringing Charlotte into our home for the first time was one of those moments I will never forget. We walked her around the house and showed Charlotte her room. The whole house took on a different meaning to me once we had a little baby in it. Breastfeeding is absolutely without a doubt the hardest, most selfless thing I have ever done. I am so glad I was able to do it and keep it up for so long. Some of my most treasured stolen moments with Charlotte are times we were left alone to feed. There's not a whole lot to do while you are in a nursing session except think and pray and thank God for your blessings. I am so glad I was able to stay home with Charlotte for so long now too. Especially now that I know how fast they grow...I could never have those days back if I had missed them. Seeing Charlotte learn to crawl for the first time is probably my proudest moment of the year. She wanted it so bad, and then all of a sudden she just took off! She was so excited at her own accomplishment it literally brought tears to my eyes. This summer with Charlotte was so much fun. It was the perfect time to be home with her. Developmentally she was getting so social and loved to learn about her surroundings. Add the fact that she was much more mobile and it's needless to say there was never a dull moment! I just really feel we were able to focus on her so much and really take the time to work with her and teach her about her world. Since we've started school again, Charlotte has learned how to play with others at daycare. She has become much more vocal...she has an amazing ability to imitate. I really know I've got to watch my language now, the other day Charlotte copied Bryce saying "lobster"! She is really into anything that makes noise, anything that seems silly, and turning things on and off. Her sign language has expanded to include "milk, more, ball, water, all done, and bye bye". She can also point to her head, point out parts of someone else's face, and blow a kiss good-bye. She is amazing.
The past year has taught me to stop and look at things from a child's perspective. To enjoy the little things. The past year has taught me that I am a strong woman....I truly honestly believe that birth and the newborn stage taught me more about myself than going away to college did! The past year has taught me how fragile life is. How much I need Bryce. How grateful I am. Loving my child has made me happier than I have ever been.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Beautiful, Beckie!! The blog and pictures were great!! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteBett
Beckie this post was the BEST!!!!!!! Everything you said was so true!!!!
ReplyDeleteAwww...this made me cry.
ReplyDelete