Our little girl is growing beautifully! At one year she is in the 50th percentile for both her height and weight at 21 pounds 1 ounce and 29 inches tall. She is reaching all of her milestones (saying words, pointing at things, looking at books, clapping, waving, cruising, etc.) and has four teeth. She has two more on the top that are threatening to pop through any day now.
Both Bryce and I have food allergies in the family so I have been hyper-vigilant (some would say paranoid) about the foods she eats. In preparation for the flu shot, which is made with egg whites, I gave Charlotte some banana bread with egg in it, then a bite of eggs, then worked our way up to eating scrambled eggs for breakfast last week. She did fine with it and it was a HUGE relief to avoid that obstacle. We've been given to go ahead to try berries next though the Pediatrician suggested we hold off on peanuts for at least another 6 months. The shots were absolutely horrible this time. Charlotte screamed so loud and would not calm down. Usually I can interest her in something else but she cried and cried until we actually left the Doctor's office this time. Taking the band aids off during bath time so I could inspect the injection site was round 2 of the screams. Awful!!
We are going to start the transition to whole milk at the end of the week. Since this was Charlotte's first flu shot (plus she got an MMR and chickenpox vaccine) I want to make sure she does not have a reaction before we start something new. I have gone back and forth about whether or not to do organic milk. It seems to fall under my philosophy of giving Charlotte the best of everything but I am getting such mixed signals about what "the best" is in this situation. After we have made the complete switch to whole milk we will start weaning from the bottle. Charlotte has been drinking from a cup for one feeding any way so I think we will be ok. Because we wake up so early in the morning during the week I am going to keep her on two naps a day for as long as I can. I feel so bad that her night time sleep is getting cut short, we have to try to make it up somehow! Once we have used up all the jar food we have I am not buying any more. It is so bittersweet to think I have bought my last can of formula and my last jar of baby food for Charlotte. Now I have a whole new food arena to obsess over!
Everyone at the Doctor's office oohed and aahed over how pretty Charlotte is. She was waving at everyone in the waiting room, and she is really into giving her toys (and Bryce and I!) hugs and kisses right now. I could not be more proud.

I've (mostley) only given Ramsey organic whole milk since he turned one. I just figure the less steriods the better. Oh, and good luck with the switch. We had to cold turkey Ramsey and he didn't drink anything for almost 4 days. Let me know if you need any help and it was hell for us.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad she isn't allergic to eggs. I know that is a relief for you.
ReplyDeleteLogan and Laney both had reflux, so I though whole milk would be a big deal. It really wasn't. I am so glad that Charlotte is growing up so big and healthy! I bet she is going to LOVE table food! Oh, and the bottle was so easy to get rid of. I know that for some babies it is really hard, but they both never thought twice about it. I got rid of one at a time. Last bottle of the night was the hardest (for me)!!! :) I am not down with all the ins and outs of organic, but I think we turned out just fine drinking good old whole milk! Just make sure you buy Mayfield or one that doesn't have the hormones in it. :)
ReplyDeleteBeckie, she is growing so fast!! I can't believe how big she's gotten! She's also just adorable. :)
ReplyDelete