Sunday, May 10, 2009

First Mother's Day



I feel like my Mom and I have had this amazing journey in the past year. She was always supportive of me, and proud of me but now there is an understanding between us that makes us so much closer than before. She always said I would understand when I have kids of my own, and it's true, now I do. I also understand how important it is for a daughter to have a good role model in her mother and I pray every day that I can be that for Charlotte. I was absolutely terrified to have a girl. The day we saw the ultrasound saying it was a girl I think I literally had a mini panic attack because I knew what tough times lay ahead of me trying to raise a lady. A woman with self-worth, appreciation for all the blessings in her life, and that fine line between being able to do for yourself but sometimes letting a man do for you. I hope I can teach Charlotte to love with an open heart, but know when it is a futile effort. I hope I can teach Charlotte to always see the good in people but don't let the bad in them bring you down either. To love learning, and reading, and spending quality time with family and friends. I hope that Charlotte will always trust me and confide in me, but also know that I am her mother and not her friend (until she has kids of her own!). I hope that I can teach Charlotte to love Jesus, and what it means to be a Christian of virtue. In essence, I hope I can teach her all those things my Mom taught me!!

We had a wonderful day today. I know it was my first mother's day, but it had to be the best one ever. Bryce made me yummy banana pancakes this morning and gave me the sweetest present I could ever ask for. He had a portrait painted of me reading a book to Charlotte. I know I will cherish it for the rest of my life. Being a mother has changed my whole being. I am myself and I am a different person all at once. Charlotte has made me a better version of the person I was and seeing that picture will remind me of these sweet, simple times.


We had lunch with my family at Brio, an amazing Italian restaurant in Dunwoody. Conversation flowed freely, Charlotte was on her best behavior, everyone was laughing....I couldn't have asked for a better day.

May Mother's day always be a celebration of the love we give every day of the year!




1 comment:

  1. I love the way this pictures shows your mom looking at Charlotte!! You can tell how much she loves that girl!!!

    ReplyDelete