Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Charlotte's 4 month check up

Sweet girl!

Our Pediatrician's office has four doctors, but two of them have been out on maternity leave so we had to push her four month check up back two weeks. Charlotte is growing right on target, she is up to 13 pounds 14 ounces and 26 inches long. She has hit all of her milestones so far (smiling, cooing, holding her head up and steady, rolling over), and the wonderful Pediatrician answered all of my questions. She did recommend that we limit Charlotte's time in exersaucers and jumparoos since we have had problems with her hips in the past and she confirmed with the Nurse Practitioner at our last visit that we should start rice cereal any day now. The doctor said that the iron stores in breast milk start depleting around four months and it may take her a little while to get the hang of using a spoon and swallowing food. It is a little scary because Charlotte has had nothing but breast milk up to this point, but also exciting because this is one step closer to the weaning stage. I have not really felt burdened by breastfeeding yet, but it is so time consuming at work. It finally hit me why I feel like I am getting nothing done: I stay at work shorter hours than I did before I had a child so that I can be home with Charlotte, and I spend 45 minutes to an hour of my day at work pumping. My colleagues have been absolutely wonderful in covering my classes but it is starting to feel exhausting. I just have to keep in mind that this is what I wanted for Charlotte and it is only a little piece of her life that will be over before I know it. I can't wait to see how my little one takes to sitting up and eating food!
Charlotte handled her shots like a champ, though that pouty little lip afterward hurts my heart. She'll go back in two more weeks to finish out her four month shots and we will be on to the wonderful world of five month olds!


She wants to sit up by herself so bad!

2 comments:

  1. Glad little Miss is doing so well. You'll enjoy the 5-8 month stage as she begins to try to get mobile. Fun times ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAve you done any research on that???? I have heard of a lot of moms that exclusively breastfeed for the first year! I don't think waiting until 6 months will hurt her!

    ReplyDelete