Monday, November 17, 2008

oh yes, and Immunizations today

We had our first round of immunizations today. It was actually one of the hardest decisions I have had to make for Charlotte so far. There was no doubt in my mind that Charlotte needs all of her immunizations, it was just a matter of how many to give her at a time. The AAP claims that all vaccines are fine in the regular schedule, which means that Charlotte would have had FIVE vaccines given to her today. There are other groups (and mothers) that claim that children can have a severe reaction to these vaccines, especially when they are given so many at a time. After as much research as I could muster, we decided to give Charlotte two vaccines at a time. This means we'll have to go the the pediatrician every month for a year, and pay our co-pay each time, but I think the peace of mind (and the belief we are doing what is right) is worth it. I don't actually believe that the vaccines CAUSE disorders such as autism, I think there is an underlying gene factor and the vaccines may make it more apparent, but we don't have the evidence to back up which children are more susceptible so we are going to play it safe. This is such a hotly debated topic, with so many parents choosing not to vaccinate at all. With Bryce and I both being school teachers, I don't think this is a risk anyone should take.

Bryce and I both got flu shots today as well, since Charlotte is still too young to get one for herself, and I feel very tired. Good night to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment