Bryce and I are both fans of the show "Top Chef". I get my reality tv kick from it, and Bryce is the chef of our house so it makes us both happy. One of the finalists in last season's Top Chef was Kevin Gillespie a chef and owner at Atlanta based Woodfire Grill. Bryce really wanted to go to this restaurant for his birthday back in February, but the earliest reservation we could get was three months out! We set up a date night for our Spring Break and Bryce's parents came to our house to watch Charlotte so we could stay out late and enjoy the evening away.
This was a restaurant unlike any I have ever eaten at. Just looking over the menu gave me some heart palpitations because I am a pretty picky eater. I agreed with Bryce that he was a well known chef that could probably make just about anything taste good so I would try to go outside of my comfort zone. Out of my comfort zone indeed! Bryce signed us both up for the 5 course chef's tasting. Which basically means five courses come to your table and you don't know what they are ahead of time. It is whatever the chef wants to make for your table. We decided to do the wine pairings for each course as well and sat back to wait and see what would come out. It is true, everything did taste really good but I certainly tried things I have never eaten before and will probably never eat again! Our first course was shrimp in a puff pastry that they called a tart. It was delicious and possibly one of my favorites, even though I never order shrimp. The second course was scallops and mushrooms, again two things I NEVER eat but if I had a blindfold on could have fallen in love with! Third course was a potato and leek soup paired with my favorite wine of the evening. It was a Riesling that tasted like pear juice. YUM! Fourth course was Pork Belly (I know, I know-another blind fold needed) and pork loin with Grits. Oh my, even for a southern girl those were the best grits I have ever tasted. The pork was Bryce's favorite. Fifth course was lamb with fingerling potatoes. We also had dessert which was a pistachio cake (who knew?!) with vanilla mouse and apricots drizzled in chocolate. I am a chocolate lover, so this one left me wanting more but it was a beautiful part of the experience. We had such a good time together!
We came home and Bryce's parents said Charlotte was perfect. Ate all her dinner, took a good bath, and fell right to sleep. It was so nice to come home and not have to worry about anything! Our job was done!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

sounds amazing! I love Top Chef too. sounds like it's totally worth it to do the 5 course chef tasting since you waited 3 months to go there.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a delightful evening! I am going to have to look into that place - I have a BIG birthday coming up that may be where we have to go this year!
ReplyDelete