My 30th Birthday was back in August, but Bryce planned a big trip for October as a birthday/babymoon get away. Our schools had Columbus day off, so we jetted out of town on Friday and came back Monday evening. I have to admit I was really nervous to leave Charlotte for such an extended period of time, but she did great with Grandma Monk and Grandpa Bill. She is becoming such a big girl in every sense of the word and really handles new situations much better than she has in the past.
Back in August Bryce gave me a "clue" about where he was taking me by wrapping a collection of poem's by Maya Angelou. Of course this actually gave me no clues at all until we got there, but it was really fun wondering where we were going. He booked our weekend at a cottage called WhiteGate Inn in Asheville, North Carolina and all of the rooms were named after famous authors. Guess which room we were in. The Maya Angelou! It was a beautiful room, with a BEAUTIFUL shower and jacuzzi tub....two things that I took advantage of as often as possible! The ride and all the walking were a little hard on my six month pregnant body but the food and atmosphere made it all worth it!
The Inn was out front and the cottages around back
Trip Advisor proved to be our best friend with this trip. We searched out a FABULOUS dessert place our first night there and loved it so much we went back one more time before we left.
Yes, that is a LINE waiting for dessert on a Friday night! It was crazy, but so so so yummy! We shared a piece of carrot cake and a chocolate torte. They had beer and wine there too, but for once I was happy I couldn't drink it! A big glass of milk was perfect!
We spent our first full day in Asheville at the Biltmore Estate. It is a FULL day of walking, sight seeing, and shopping. The house is really beautiful and the history was interesting, but talk about being exhausted! We walked six miles on this one day!

We had to make reservations for a restaurant that Bryce was dying to try. We could only get them for a Sunday night, but man this place was amazing. Probably one of our favorite meals together ever. It was called "Curate" in downtown Asheville. It is Spanish Tapas with a menu laid out in courses so you could choose something to share from each course. We loved every single thing we ordered!
Bryce's yummy drink had "apple air" on top. Oh my!
I ordered a bottled Ginger Ale so I could feel fancy too. It was unlike any gingerale I've ever had and so light and refreshing.
For dessert we ordered a chocolate pecan mouse that had a scoop of pear sorbet on the side. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
I had a hot chocolate that came out as steaming milk and chocolate on a stick that you stirred in yourself. So fun!
We were definitely glad to be back home, but this was the type of experience that lasting relationships are built on. It was so nice to spend time alone with Bryce. We missed Charlotte and our home terribly, but the uninterrupted conversation and focus on each other were a breath of fresh air. I think we will take our girls back here one day, but for now it is a special memory for Bryce and I to share together.

No comments:
Post a Comment